BuildRequires for texlive stuff for F18 and beyond

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:05:47 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I have various packages that use (La)TeX to generate documentation at
package build time. In the past, this was usually handled fine with a
BuildRequires: tex(latex) which would bring in enough of a latex
environment to build most things.

With the more fine grained texlive packaging in F>18 where tex(latex) is
provided by texlive-collection-latex I am finding that this is insufficient
to build most documents. I see two options in these cases:

1) Add BuildRequires; texlive-collection-latexextra  (nb.
texlive-collection-latexrecommended isn't usually sufficient)

2) Generate a list of specific style files using an incantation such as

egrep -R 'usepackage|documentclass|RequirePackage' * | cut -d']' -f2 | cut
-s -d'{' -f 2 | sed s/"}"/.sty"}"/g   | cut -d'}' -f1 | sort | uniq

and turn this into a list of specific BuildRequires: tex(foo.sty) lines.

If (1) is the preferred route, then I think we should move the virtual
provides for tex(latex) to the texlive-collection-latexextra package. If
(2) is the preferred route we probably need a wiki page and possibly a
packaging guideline explaining this. I personally lean towards the first
option (i.e. moving the tex(latex) provides to
texlive-collection-latexextra package) as it will fix a lot of packages
that currently will fail to build.

What do folks think?

Cheers,
Jonathan.