Start of systemd timers after install/update of a package

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 14:46:34 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 06:30 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 04:28 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Tomas Mraz (tmraz at redhat.com) said:

>>> I think that massive migration of services from cron to systemd timers
>>> is very premature and should be actively at least discouraged by
>>> packaging directives.
>> I'm somewhat skeptical of the benefit of migration in general. I'm really
>> skeptical that the place you start reducing the dependency load is inn.
>
> I have started looking into migration of cron jobs to native systemd
> time units as I mentioned I would do with fesco on the last meeting.
>
> Out of the total 99 cron job the distribution ship there are 38 which
> come with service related packages thus might be applicable to migration
> from my pov the rest should just be left as is.
>
> What surprised me the most was that none of those components packages
> depended on cron which was the same thing with rsyslog when I looked
> into that which is what I expected they would do.
>
> Maybe it's just me but is there not something more broken/alarming with
> that or is just me and this is just acceptable from packaging standpoint?
>
> JBG

It's a problem of incorrect dependencies. Many packagers simply don't
require packages, which are in base group. I found out, when I removed
vixie-cron provides and there were still packages, which had it wrong.

I was forced to remove requirement on rsyslog, because some people
wanted to install system without any logger. I guess I should ask FPC
for a guideline, but as I do not have time for review of all packages,
which incorrectly provide/require package I didn't do it.

What is the added value of migration of cron jobs? I, as maintainer of
cron, obviously don't see the added value. What might be interesting
would be converting cron.daily jobs as systemd task. If systemd could
execute daily job in time, when system load is low, that would be awesome.

Marcela