Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:57:55 UTC 2013

Hi

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Andrew Rist  wrote:

> When it comes to "Freedom"....many companies working, contributing, and
> supporting open source codebases have information disclosure policies very
> similar to MySQL [1]. The code is still GPL and out there for everyone to
> check out [2]. Our commercial efforts around MySQL are the thing that
> allows us to staff up with hundreds of engineers writing all of this code,
> and this in turn translates directly to the new features and stability of
> the community edition.
>
> Andrew
>
> [1] http://web.archive.org/web/**20120108120323/http://www.**
> redhat.com/about/news/blog/**commitment-to-open/<http://web.archive.org/web/20120108120323/http://www.redhat.com/about/news/blog/commitment-to-open/>
> [2] http://labs.mysql.com

Just to be clear,  RHEL != Fedora.  Red Hat policy for RHEL kernel is not
acceptable to Fedora and Fedora kernel continues to have the patches split
out.  You cannot use that to defend MySQL policies here.  You can do
whatever you want to do for the MySQL "enterprise edition" which is a
commercial product but the community project should have transparency and
openness in how it handles bugs, security issues, test cases etc.  If you
are willing to commit to that,  that is a step forward.

Rahul