Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 25 20:31:14 UTC 2013

Am 25.01.2013 21:17, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 01/25/2013 07:39 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> I use Fedora as a server system for my daily developer work. I use
>> many services with different configurations. Actually updating it with
>> preupgrade/fedup is sometimes hard. Reinstalling whole system after
>> each release will be super painful.
>>

> ?
>
> Keep your server configuration in git and keep the relevant data on separated partition then reinstall and checkout
> the config(s)

which part of the configuration?
all /etc - well this would be more damage than resolution :-)

sorry but this does not work

i have made some hundret dist-upgrades with yum over the years
nearly zero downtime, normally not more as a kernel update with reboot

well, i keep all my systems 100% clear
but with reinstalls i had wasted so much more time

the big benefit (especially in VM environments) is that the update
goes so fast (as long you not install every bullshit) that the timeframe
is to short to make any troubles for running services

4-7 minutes per instance here since years