Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:33:19 UTC 2013

On 01/26/2013 08:42 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>>> And that is Fedora's problem how?
>> and THAT is the problem with many pieces of fedora-development
>> the last few years - what do we care for the real world usage,
>> we are only a design study......
> I agree, we care for real world usage of Fedora, not XYZ.

Yup rhel != Fedora

The third party support can be distribution agnostic like for example [1]

Running on Fedora does not break support there however using mariadb will.

If the current maintainers orphan mysql anyone can pick it up including
Oracle employees and continue it's maintenance within the distribution.

Any beef, competition or what not between Red Hat and Oracle ( or anyone
else for that matter ) is between Red Hat and Oracle not Fedora and I
cant imagine FESCO/Board standing in the way of Oracle wanting to
packaging and maintain anything in the distribution unless it breaks
some legal jargon just like everyone else.

JBG

1.https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms