Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:40:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> = Features/Cinnamon as Default Desktop =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Cinnamon_as_Default_Desktop
>
> Feature owner(s): Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com>
>
> This feature proposes that Fedora switch the default desktop interface from
> Gnome 3 to Cinnamon. Cinnamon provides a desktop interface that is more
> familiar to Windows and Gnome 2 users than the standard Gnome Shell interface,
> while being built from Gnome 3 components.

We have no focused testing effort on Cinnamon.  I don't think switching
the default after we're already heading towards a 3.8 release of Gnome
is the greatest use of resources.

Please don't construe that as me arguing Gnome 3 is perfect.  It isn't.

> I submit the proposition that it is easier for a user doing a new Fedora
> install to start with a traditional desktop, and switch to the Gnome Shell if
> they prefer that, than to start with Gnome Shell and switch to a traditional
> desktop.

This is conjecture at best.  There is no data (on either side) to suggest
it is true.

> The Cinnamon desktop provides a traditional desktop while being based on the
> latest Gnome and GTK components, so it seems like a better candidate for a
> default desktop than MATE, which is based on older components.

I'll agree that Cinnamon would seem to be in a better position going
forward than MATE, but I don't think there's anything to justify it being
the default desktop environment.

josh