Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 28 08:04:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-27 at 14:53 +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> The Gnome 3 interface is substantially different that the traditional desktop
> interfaces on both Linux and Windows.

At least for Windows 8, neither Cinnamon is close to its desktop
interface.

> While it is good that there is research
> into new user interface concepts, many users prefer to have a traditional
> interface that they are accustomed to. Unfortunately it is difficult or
> impossible to assess what fraction of the user base prefers Gnome Shell vs. a
> more traditional interface.

Exactly. There is no way to know that. So I see no real reason to change
our default desktop.
Even if we consider Gnome 3 as a "research" (which I don't), Fedora is
known to adopt innovative technologies.

--
Nikos Roussos
comzeradd @ freenode.net