Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 13:01:54 UTC 2013

  Hi,

> If a fedup upgrade can go offline for a lengthy, but uncertain, amount
> of time, then the lack of feedback is worrying.  You can't hold your
> breath for 25 minutes, you don't know when to conclude that you have a
> serious problem that will require help from the data center staff, and
> you don't have any idea where the process went off-track.

I actually like fedup, and I guess I'll go stop using yum for upgrades
if I can use fedup instead.

I've seen anaconda upgrades (be it dvd-based or via preupgrade) blow up
multiple times and settled on using yum instead.

But fedup is different.  Even though it is still quite young I actually
trust it to get things right.  It fetches all packages, then does a
transaction check and if that fails it says so and allows you to fixup
stuff before actually kicking the upgrade.  Remove orphaned packages
causing dep issues, cleanup disk so filesystems have enough free space
to run the transaction, whatever is needed.

That is very simliar to how you handle issues when upgrading using yum.

Once everything is settled and fedup says "reboot to upgrade" you can be
pretty sure that it will work fine.

cheers,
  Gerd