Proposed F19 Feature: Developers Assistant

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 14:27:42 UTC 2013

On 28. 1. 2013 at 07:57:11, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > = Features/DevelopersAssistant =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DevelopersAssistant
> >
> > Feature owner(s): Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com>, Marcela Mašláňová
> > <mmaslano at redhat.com>
> >
> > Perform a series of various changes to improve developer experience on
> > Fedora.
> >
> > == Detailed description ==
> > This feature aims on setting up development environment for various
> > languages. Target groups include beginning developers but also
> > experienced developers not used to GNU/Linux as well as experienced Linux
> > developers not used to Fedora.
> >
> > This feature will cover a basic set of tasks which will prepare Fedora for
> > later additions. The first part of the feature is a review of comps groups
> > which would lead to better granularity of package sets necessary for
> > development in different languages. Another part is about providing tool
> > or
> > tools for simple start of a project in terms of creating project template
> > based on different languages and/or frameworks which the project should
> > use.
> I'm not sure what the "tool or tools" part is supposed to cover.  Could
> someone give an example of one of these new setup leaf packages?
>
> josh

Currently we are working on some proof-of-concept stuff. But as an example, you
can imagine a script for creation of C program templates. You will specify
directory where it should create the program and (possibly) some specifics,
like "I want to use threads" or "I need glib support".

On output of that script you will have a template of C program with Makefile
and you can start coding right away, no need for preparing the environment
first.

Please note that scope of this feature is not limited and by design this
entire effort is not limited. We want to start with a bunch of scripts which
will be then integrated as modules into one command (to make it easy to
remember).

We are not yet sure how many packages are we talking about here, it might as
well be just one package containing all the scripts and each script will check
for presence of specific prerequisities already packaged somewhere else. Or
every script can be a part of already existing package (similar to bash
completion scripts). As these are leaf packages (nothing will depend on them),
the only important part of the design is not to completely change the approach
in the future.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Thanks
Jan