Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 15:15:05 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> = Features/Cinnamon as Default Desktop =

> I submit the proposition that it is easier for a user doing a new
> Fedora
> install to start with a traditional desktop, and switch to the Gnome
> Shell if
> they prefer that, than to start with Gnome Shell and switch to a
> traditional
> desktop.
>
> The Cinnamon desktop provides a traditional desktop while being based
> on the
> latest Gnome and GTK components, so it seems like a better candidate
> for a
> default desktop than MATE, which is based on older components.

Some facts:

- Cinnamon started out as 'using GNOME components', but it is not a full fork of mutter, gnome-shell and nautilus, at least, and bug-fixes are not going either way...

- GNOME 3.8 will replace the dismal fallback mode with a new 'classic' mode that is actually based on the latest GNOME components, and will be a more 'traditional desktop', whatever that means.