Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 17:23:30 UTC 2013

Oron Peled (oron at actcom.co.il) said:
> IMO, my following proposal is only feasible if (and it's a big iff),
> the number of system calls and library functions that accept a network
> interface name is not large [things like if_nameindex(), the "ifreq"
> ioctl()'s, etc.]
>
> If that's the case, we can map "predictable" names to traditional ones
> in user-space, on the entry to said library functions, or entry
> to the said glibc syscall wrappers.

The problem is that explicitly because network devices have never been
enumerable in /dev before, every single utility does it themeselves.
Mostly by trawling /sysfs these days, but still... attempting to move
to an alternate naming scheme library could/would break everything that
only knows how to enumerate the kernel devices.

Bill