Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Norvald Ryeng norvald.ryeng at oracle.com
Mon Jan 28 18:22:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 20:29 +0100, Remi Collet wrote:
> Le 25/01/2013 19:46, Norvald Ryeng a écrit :
> > Here's the bug: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=68182

This bug has now been fixed and will be included in release 1.2.0.

> So, a few questions ?
>
> - why do you publish "community" source tarball with non GPL
> documentation inside ?
>
> We need to recreate a "nodocs" tarball for each version, nightmare
>
> Ex : mysql, mysql-workbench, ...
>
> For MW we even need to patch source to remove the local link to the non
> GPL documentation (and use online documentation instead)
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mysql-workbench.git/plain/mysql-workbench-5.2.45-nodocs.patch

We include the docs because they are useful to users downloading the
software directly from dev.mysql.com, even if Fedora and other distros
can't redistribute them.

In Debian, recreating the tarball is done by the get-orig-source target
in debian/rules, so the manual work has to be done only once. After
that, it's all automatic. Is this different with RPMs in Fedora?

> Ex mysql-utilities:
>
> - why do you forget to publish tarball of new release

I'm not sure I understand. MySQL Utilities are included in the Workbench
tarball, or you can get them from the bzr repo on Launchpad.

> - why "mut" man page still install when this have been notified 1 year
> ago to upstream (the command is not installed) ?

This is filed as bug #68182 and will be included in release 1.2.0.

> - why "mysqluc" command still totally broken / unusable despite this
> have been notified months ago ?
>
> See gui-tools at lists.mysql.com archives.

I'm told that this is already fixed and will be included in release
1.2.0.

> P.S. who have signed the Oracle CLA, and try to work with upstream as

Great!

> much as possible... but when upstream don't seems to hear you...

Not so great, but I hope you'll see improvement now that we have each
other's e-mail addresses. Just e-mail me if there are any issues that we
should address.

Thank you for maintaining the packages!

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng