Proposed F19 Feature: Yum Groups as Objects

Kamil Dudka kdudka at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 18:49:50 UTC 2013

On Monday, January 28, 2013 10:26:01 Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:52:18 +0100,
>
>    Kamil Dudka <kdudka at redhat.com> wrote:
> >I have been always wondering why yum needs a special set of commands to
> >manipulate groups of packages.  What would be the downside of using just
> >packages that install no files (a.k.a. meta-packages) instead of groups?
>
> Removing meta packages doesn't remove the dependencies. So you more or less
> have the same problem. It is easy to install groups, but tricky to remove
> them.

However, the above applies to packages, too.  If I install the eclipse
package, which pulls in 104 packages for dependencies, there should be
a way to remove the eclipse package together with those 104 packages.
This kind of operations would be better to support in general, instead
of hacking up pseudo-solutions like yum's package groups.

Kamil