Proposed F19 Feature: Simplify Java/Maven Packaging using XMvn

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 19:44:30 UTC 2013

Quoting Bill Nottingham (2013-01-28 20:21:21)
> Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
> > = Features/XMvn =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XMvn
> >
> > Feature owner(s): Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
> >
> > Introduce new Maven packaging tooling with new macros, automated install
> > section and more.
>
> I would assume that, even with approval, there's no way to stage these
> changes before the mass rebuild?

There's too many packages I guess. It's likely we won't be able to transition
*all* packages. If we manage to convert core let's say 300-400 I'll be happy and
consider this all a success since that will mean we'll test the code in most
possible situations.

Some simple packages could be converted automatically, but verification might
actually ake longer than just doing it manually :-)

> Does this also allow for automating/autogenerating a list of build provides?

We do have scripts that can scan the source code and generate "BuildRequires"
snippets. But they are not (and can never be) 100%, plus rpm doesn't make
generating buildrequires during build any easier :-) We might do some tricks,
but it's still a hack IMO.

At this point I'm happy with automatic requires (which will likely keep us
occupied to make sure unnecessary stuff doesn't creep in everywhere)

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241