Proposed F19 Feature: Yum Groups as Objects

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 09:34:50 UTC 2013

On Monday 28 of January 2013 10:12:29 Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Mon 28 Jan 2013 09:43:56 AM EST, Jan Zelený wrote:

> >> This doesn't really seem like the optimal solution here. It seems to
> >> me that it might be a better solution that you note which "groups"
> >> were installed and then at 'yum group remove foo' you remove any
> >> packages in it that are not ALSO owned by other installed groups. That
> >> seems less prone to issues if you uninstall groups that have shared
> >> packages in anything other than reverse order of installation.
> >>
> >> Of course, after that we also have the issue of leaf nodes. Perhaps we
> >> should ignore any packages that are dependencies of other installed
> >> software too?
> >
> > Thank you for pointing this out. We are aware of this issue and we plan to
> > address it. James already implemented something similar for repositories
> > and to implement the same thing for groups, we first need groups to be
> > treated as objects.
> >
> > Anyway as the proposal indicates, changing the default (treating groups as
> > objects) won't have any impact on the behavior in this way. If you
> > uninstall group, it will remove any packages that have been installed as
> > dependencies. But the same thing happens today. AFAIU the only difference
> > in behavior observed by users will be that packages that are explicitly
> > installed won't be removed once the group is removed.
>
> While this is obviously an enhancement over the current state of
> things, I'm not certain it's a sufficient improvement to warrant a
> Feature. In my mind, the difficulty with handling the descendant
> packages on removal is a more interesting problem.

When I announced the feature, I understood it the same way - it's going to
solve the problem in your mind. Also it changes defaults but seems even with
defaults changes, the result will be same (very similar).

So yes, now I'm not sure this is really a Feature, even you know I'm fan of as
many features as we can have not to miss anything important. And actually it
served this purpose - there's discussion and clarification...

Jaroslav