Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:13:34 UTC 2013

On Monday, January 28, 2013, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> [...]

Let's see how lightweight, bug free and usable it is. Why don't you just
merge the 3 projects instead of wasting your time? We could all work
together.

There could be different "flavors" of Gnome. Now I know that we are both
biased here, however what it really feels like here is REDHAT
employees want Gnome 3 and they are giving a bunch of bullshit excuses on
why it should be, referencing various stupid apple to orange comparisons
from 10 years ago. Why don't we take a poll where no Red Hat employees can
vote. Only non Red Hat Fedora employees and the board itself can make a
final decision after considering what FESCO has to say about it. Face it.
Fedora 15 Gnome 3 cause a major uproar. Anaconda on RHEL6 is easier to use
than Anaconda 18. Almost 3 years later and "oh yeah we realized we should
probably add a real "fallback" mode to Gnome 3. Meanwhile the main people
writing code are not the community.  Meanwhile MATE is lighter weight than
Gnome 2.3, has numerous bug fixes, will have full support for
systems/logind.. Something even Gnome 3 still has trouble with.

Is it really that scary for you guys to think about something else besides
Gnome 3 and KDE?

Not enough support? Then step up and quit whining. You know how to help,
Red Hat employees. Don't be selfish. This is Fedora not RHEL. This is a
community based distribution not Red Hats playground. Please feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong.

Everyone loves to dance around the fact about what Fedora is or isn't.

This isn't one persons decision and its not 2003.

Get with the times. Your projects failed. Sure a lot of people like it.
Then again a lot of people don't. And we wonder why there are less people
using Fedora.

And then we wonder why MATE and Cinnamon got the most press coverage in
Fedora 18 and why there has been a huge user spike in the last 30 days. It
hasn't been because of systemd, Gnome 3.6, and Anaconda 18. You are on
serious drugs if you believe that.

Dan