Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jan 29 12:53:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 04:36:22AM -0800, Dan Mashal wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >
> > >MATE developers actually have GNOME git accounts now.
>
> I know that.
>
> >GNOME classic is not the same as a fallback mode.
>

> I am skeptical.

That is not what I meant. Fallback was due to the lack of hardware
accelleration. It could be changed into something with a panel. Classic
provides a few small changes to change the workflow to more match what
GNOME 2 did.

> > MATE did not have that much development, nor that many developers if you
> > compare it to the amount of work done between a GNOME 2.x release.
>
>      Paid full time employees vs non paid hobbyists.

For one: I'd like to see your comparison. There are loads of people
contributing to GNOME. It is translated to 40-50 languages, almost all
of that work is done by volunteers.

Secondly: You suggested that MATE received a lot of work. Now it seems
you agree with my assertion that GNOME did way more work.

>  >Could you reference the bugs that GNOME 3 has problems with systemd?
>  >Because it works fine for me.
>
> You know how search RHBZ?

You're being vague.

You said that MATE has better support than GNOME 3. Please stay on topic
and provide references. Note that my intention is to get such issues
fixed upstream. You said you don't feel heard by GNOME, but I am
specifically asking what troubles you see with GNOME 3 and systemd.

> > > This isn't one persons decision and its not 2003.
> > >
> > > Get with the times. Your projects failed. Sure a lot of people like it.
> > > Then again a lot of people don't. And we wonder why there are less people
> > > using Fedora.
> >
> > You say "projects": which projects exactly?

I noticed you did not respond to this.

> > >"serious drugs"
> >
> > >Quit with attacking people, then maybe people will actually listen. At
> > >the moment you are very vague and unspecific (e.g. bug references, not
> > >vague claims). The only think you make clear is that you're angry.
>

> Nobody has been listening for the last 3 years.

I've seen the changes that various GNOME developers as well as Red Hat
employees have made. I've seen GNOME developers trying to understand
issues and make changes. I've even tried to summarize this in various
release notes.

Now I'm not sure who you mean with "nobody". I assume Red Hat employees
working on GNOME. In which case that's factually wrong.

More importantly: Not feeling heard is no excuse for attacking people.

--
Regards,
Olav