Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:12:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2013 10:55 AM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>> On 01/29/2013 03:45 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
>>> I guess it was in the short while I switched to Ubuntu, because
>>> from my memory I used to change hardware on my machines and
>>> always be extremely happy at how Linux was resilient to hardware
>>> changes between boots and automatically detected new hardware
>>> without the dreaded rescue mode.
>
> Hmm, not sure why Thunderbird sent my initial response without a
> subject. Fixing that now.
>
> I'm really not hearing any benefits from this strong enough to justify
> the potential issues with not keeping the full driver set in the
> initramfs. Boot time is nice-to-have. Boot *completion* is mandatory.

Faster bootup "for free" ... unless you swap out drives a lot which
most people do not do there is no downside.
And the generic image should boot an most hardware nowdays thanks to
AHCI (so you should be able to boot the foreign host only image
anyway).

The only real concern so far is the cloud space issue Matthew raised
... but a opt out of the fallback image option (using a config file or
whatever) would result into a net win in disk space too.