Proposed F19 Feature: New firstboot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 29 17:31:39 UTC 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 5:43 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't top-post [1]
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#If_You_Are_Replying_to_a_Message

It's amusing that it doesn't explain why. It just says don't do it. Top posting fails worse than bottom posting when what's quoted is poorly trimmed bottom posting. The lack of trim is common in both styles. But if done aggressively, I don't see the problem, e.g. had I top posted in this case, it would not be a real problem (vs an imaginary one).

I'm further amused by the subsequent Wikipedia link that characterizes most complainers of top posting as old Usenet epoch whiners, with 1990's era clients that predate the sane ability to consistently top post. And that if everyone top posted, things would be work better for all of us, since all modern devices and clients do it this way, and for valid reasons.

Chris Murphy