Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:35:17 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 05:20 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> I see the 's' word in there ;)
>>>
>>> That's always the hope, and then we meet the cold reality, where someone
>>> just patched 'em1' into everything and hoped that was good enough. But
>>> sure, 'damn the torpedoes' is a viable approach too. I guess I was just
>>> kind of hoping F19 would be a release without yet more churn in the core
>>> system where we could try and stabilize things a bit.
>>>
>> I agree. The scope says no impact, but who knows how many packages depend on
>> hardcoded names.
> It's not only "em1" mistakenly hard-coded in applications; it's user's
> saved configuration, scripts etc., where often there is no practical
> alternative to "hard-coding".
>      Mirek

For the first how many users did you notice complaining about the
biosdevice name change, secondly are you seriously saying that if I have
a local script as in nothing we ship we just hold the presses and
nothing in the project can be moved forward unless it's backward
compatible to my script?  That's just nonsense.

It's my responsibility to read the release notes or otherwise keep
myself informed of any changes and keep *my* scripts updated but it's
the project responsability to try to keep anything we ship from breaking
as an result of any changes we make.

JBG