Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Tue Jan 29 18:48:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 06:29:35PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> What is "The ethernet device"? It's the device that speaks ethernet and
> which isn't wireless or a bridge. The correct way to identify it is to
> look for devices that speak ethernet and which aren't wireless or
> bridges.

I can pretty much guarantee that I would not implement this correctly
the first time.  If there were an official tool for doing this, it would
take the edge off the rename churning that's been going on for the last
few years.  I've hit too many renaming-related bugs to get excited about
yet another attempt.  On 90% of computers, eth0 is it, and all of this
complicated stuff just makes it worse.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/