Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Jan 29 19:07:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> = Features/SystemdHardwareDatabase =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdHardwareDatabase
>
> Feature owner(s): Kay Sievers <kay at redhat dot com>
>
> The udevd service has a long history of managing kernel devices. Besides
> generating events when devices are discovered or removed it maintains a
> dynamic, stateless database of all available devices including meta data about
> them. With Fedora 19 we want to substantially enhance the metadata that udev
> keeps for each device, by augmenting it from a userspace database of non-
> essential information, that is indexed by device identification data such as
> PCI/USB vendor/product IDs.

Some years ago all hardware data was moved out of various separate
packages into the "hwdata" package (even if it meant moving it out of
the original upstream source).  The feature page doesn't even mention
the hwdata package.  AFAICS this

1) Duplicates the data.
  1a) Will the two databases be kept in sync?  How will that happen?
  1b) What is the long-term goal?  Will one of the two go away?  If
so, how and when?

2) Breaks the hwdata-vs-code separation that was created earlier.
What were the reasons of the separation, and why are they no longer
applicable now?
    Mirek