Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 19:30:49 UTC 2013

Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
> = Features/SystemdMessageCatalog =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdMessageCatalog
>
> Feature owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering dot net>
>
> Logging is essential for finding and tracking down system problems. Just finding
> and tracking them down however is seldom enough to actually get them fixed.
> With Journal Message Catalogs we want to link helpful meta information
> directly to many log messages applications generate, keyed off an ID
> identifying the type of message. This localized meta information can help the
> user to fix the problem, refer him to additional documentation, or even inform
> him where to get further help.

This is interesting, in that it's a feature that's occasionally requested
by various users and administrators. However, this is rather limited in
that only systemd stuff is using it now, and it's tied to the journal API.

Do we know 1) if anything else is going to start tagging messages in this
way (the kernel, other programs, etc.) 2) if it's possible to set the
MESSAGE_ID in some other structured way?

Bill