Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 19:34:12 UTC 2013

Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
> = Features/DracutHostOnly =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DracutHostOnly
>
> Feature owner(s): Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com>
>
> Only create "host-only" initramfs images. A generic fallback image should be
> installed by anaconda on installation/update and never ever be removed.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> Current initramfs images contain most of the kernel drivers to boot from any
> hardware. This results in a very big initramfs, which takes a long time to
> load on system start and a long time to create on kernel updates. Switching to
> host-only will improve the situation. To cope with hardware change, a boot
> entry "Rescue System" should be installed with a full fledged initramfs also
> containing debug tools. This boot entry can then be used to recover from
> hardware changes and also from unforseen software failure after updates.

Do we actually have agreement on the anaconda/lorax side for the changes
required here?

What happens if the updated system (due to userspace, SELinux policy, what
have you) moves beyond something that can be properly rescued?

Will there be a fedup module to regenerate the rescue image on OS upgrade?

Bill