Proposed F19 Feature: High Availability Container Resources

Glauber Costa glommer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:17:19 UTC 2013

>> > = Features/ High Availability Container Resources =
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/High_Availability_Container_Resources
>> >
>> > Feature owner(s): David Vossel <dvossel at redhat.com>
>> >
>> > The Container Resources feature allows the HA stack (Pacemaker +
>> > Corosync)
>> > residing on a host machine to extend management of resources into
>> > virtual
>> > guest instances (KVM/LXC).
>>
>> Is this about LXC or libvirt-lxc? These two are entirely different
>> projects, sharing no code, which makes me wonder which project is
>> meant
>> here?
>
> Yep, I left that vague and should have used the term "linux containers" instead of LXC.  I'm going to update the page to reflect this.
>
> This feature architecturally doesn't care which project manages/initiates the container.  All we care about is that the container has it's own isolated network namespace that is reachable from the host (or whatever node is remotely managing the resources within the container)  I intentionally chose to use tcp/tls as the first transport we will support to avoid locking this feature into use with any specific virt technology.
>
> With that said, I'm likely going to be focusing my test cases on libvirt-lxc just because it seems like it has better fedora support.  The LXC project appears to be moving all over the place.  Part of the project is really to identify good use-cases for linux containers in an HA environment.  The kvm use-case is fairly straight forward and well understood though.  I'll update the page to list the linux container use-case as a possible risk.

Please also keep in mind that LXC usually refers to a specific
project, either the original "lxc" code or "libvirt-lxc". We have
either Container Solutions in Fedora, like OpenVZ.

You may be able to reach a broader base by making your solution work
on that too (and of course, I'd be more than happy to help to trim any
issues you may find)

--
E Mare, Libertas