kworker is using up a lot of CPU

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 29 20:59:41 UTC 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Eberhard Schruefer <eschruefer at ca-musings.de> wrote:

> I'm seeing kworker using up around 80% CPU time constantly and the laptop is running hot.

This is in cases when you expect the system to be idle? i.e. no disk access, no active processes running, or network activity? Or is there something going on, like a file copy, but you just don't expect kworker to be consuming 80%? If the latter, I have a similar case with two (U)EFI laptops; I haven't narrowed it down to network access or disk access. But if neither are occurring, then I do get idle and no kworker process CPU % is significant.

Chris Murphy