Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:57:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 05:22:00PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> > We already ship several pre-generated initramfses.
>> that are built at kernel build time? the issue with building it at
>> build time was making sure we knew exactly what sourcs we needed to
>> ship to match all the binaries in the initramfs. the initramfs's we
>> build and ship as part of teh install tree we know exactly what sources
>> because they match what is in the release tree rather than what was in
>> the buildroot at build time.
>
> Does the kernel source RPM matching the initrd contain the necessary
> sources?

What?  No.  The kernel source RPM contains kernel sources.  It has
nothing to do with the initramfs.  It creates a dummy file with the same
name by dd'ing from /dev/zero and marks that as %ghost.  The actual
initramfs is built by grubby when the kernel package is installed because
of the call to new-kernel-pkg.

josh