Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:04:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
>>>
>>> Can't we simply re-organize the fedoraproject website in such way that the
>>> download button points to something similar to the current "More options"
>>> page, maybe with a small description for each desktop like "easy to use" /
>>> "feature rich and customizable" / "based on the traditional desktop" / etc
>>> and possibly sorted by popularity, i.e. number of downloads?
>>>
>> No.
>>
>> People that know about different desktop are able to find them, but showing
>> a list of spins to new users that cannot make an informed decision would
>> just confuse them.
>>

> Ah, the standard question and the standard answer in the ever
> recurring thread (no offense!). Let me continue with the typical
> follow up so we don't break the balance in the galactic symmetry:
>
> The Fedora board clarified the vision statement and the user base back
> in 2009 [1]. Accordingly, Fedora targets:
> - Voluntary Linux consumer
> - Computer-friendly
> - Likely collaborator
> - General productivity user
>
> Well... Users with such characteristics will likely not get "confused"
> by a list of spin choices.

User that don't get confused can and will find the list anyway (or
probably will use the DVD and select the desktop of their choice).
So why make it harder for one type of users to save the other type one click?
Does not sound like a worthy trade off to me.

> I feel urged to finish with another standard proposal: Why don't we
> rotate the default desktop spin on each release between the major DEs?

Because that's nonsense. Changing the default every release makes us
look incompetent. Also I don't see what kind of problem such a
rotation is going to solve.