Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 10:42:25 UTC 2013

On 01/30/13 01:08, Kay Sievers wrote:

>>> Because the original text file is a hack and a format specific to the
>>> PCI/USB IDs, and makes no sense at all for a generic hwdb.
>>
>> pci:v00000010*
>>  ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=Allied Telesis, Inc
>>
>> It's not like that's that much more of a generic format. :)
>
> It is entirely generic. It can carry arbitrary numbers of freely named
> key/value pairs basically unlimited in their size. Is extensible, uses
> flexible and extensible string matches like modaliases for kernel
> modules. Nothing you would find in the PCI/USB IDs hack.
>
> So what do you criticize here?

Still looks pointless.

You convert the old-format into new-format, then compile new-format into
the database.  It's not obvious why you don't go straight from
old-format to the database.  hwdata package updates would directly show
up in the database then, without having to touch systemd.

cheers,
  Gerd