Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Jan 30 11:55:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/30/13 11:55, Kay Sievers wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>>> Still looks pointless.
>>>
>>> You convert the old-format into new-format, then compile new-format into
>>> the database.  It's not obvious why you don't go straight from
>>> old-format to the database.  hwdata package updates would directly show
>>> up in the database then, without having to touch systemd.
>>
>> It's as pointless as shipping a parser for a foreign and irrelevant
>> format in the hwdb code.
>
> You need the parser anyway, for converting the old format into the new,
> don't you?

Right, but only in the build process, or the packaging. It's a dumb
perl script. Doing it in shipped tools on the host has much higher
requirements. :)

>> And it is as pointless as adding weird code and ./configure stuff
>> again to udev to find these files in the place of the month, where
>> some distro poeple decided again where to put it, and every distro in
>> a different place, with different names or file types.
>
> That is a bit nasty indeed.

Yeah, it was a mess. Some even only shipped the .gz versions of it.

>> And it is as pointless as inventing magic rules in the hwdb to
>> overwrite the old files with possibly new data shipped in the new
>> format.
>
> You could use "import $format $file" syntax in the new format, then
> plumb a file with a single import line instead of the converted file
> into the directory.  You get the same ordering then.

That could work, yeah. If we wanted to make it a "swiss army knife",
which brings-in a whole bunch of other problems, and people's
creativity, which we intentionally wanted to leave out here. :)

Kay