Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Jan 30 18:05:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 01/29/2013 04:59 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>> I don't disagree with the "more research and reason" part, but the
>> current default desktop has only been "our default" for four releases,
>> F15 through F18.  I don't recall any serious "research and reason"
>> having been involved in the switch that occurred when F15 was being
>> developed.  As far as I can tell, it was just thrust upon us without
>> much consideration as to whether it was good, bad, or indifferent.
>
> Actually a lot of research and reason went into GNOME 3's development
> [1],
That's about as relevant as "a lot of coding went into $project",
which is... not a whole lot when considering which project to make the
default.

> and we picked it up because we are an upstream distro [2].
GNOME isn't the only possible upstream.  We picked it up at that time
implicitly because it was presented as an upgrade instead of basically
a new project with a new direction.

> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design#Research.2C_testing_and_validation
To save others time... the "testing and validation" part has no
results on the wiki that I can see.
   Mirek