Proposed F19 Feature: CUPS 1.6

Benjamin De Kosnik bkoz at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 02:13:55 UTC 2013

> Quality evaluation needs test targets/documents, and eyeballs.

I think you mean "trained eyeballs" above.

;)

There are already sample regression tests in RH bugzilla for page
size/resolution. All these fancy color-calibration mechanisms in
gnome/cups/ghostscript are useless for me unless one-color printing is
first correct (ie page size/resolution).

Although, clearly you'd want color tests too.

>Many
> test targets are free or easily produced and could be CC0 licensed or
> something reasonable. This is something I've briefly discussed with
> Richard Hughes, and also participants in OpenICC, that are needed not
> just for print, but also for display.

Yes.

> > be updated? I would love it if issues like "what driver am I using"
> > could be re-integrated into the UI, or perhaps an admin level of the
> > ui. Also, "what filters did I run to get to this point of output"
> > in a log file.
>
> This is useful. At least on OS X each PDF print job also has a job
> ticket. I think this is a CUPS thing. Even once the job is complete,
> and the original document and raster files are deleted, the job
> ticket remains and it should contain all of this information. Making
> it more readable somehow might be useful.

Even making it accessible via admin-level UI's would be a great start.
I'm not seeing any kind of filter list in the localhost:631 ui on linux.

> As for using Mac OS as a model for print dialogs, I'm happy to
> discuss exactly what areas I think this is useful and areas it's to
> be avoided. OS X for professional printing is nothing short of a
> clusterf|ck. It has been a huge PITA for me for ~8 years.

LOL. Agreed. 20 years. Linux clearly has the capability to be much
better.

It's exciting to see the cups upgrade + texlive 2012 hit fedora! This
is gonna make fedora really compelling for content creation and viz.

-benjamin