Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Marina Latini deneb at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 31 12:14:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I'm an Ambassador and this proposal is confusing me.
We have LibreOffice in our repositories; I think that bring back
Apache OpenOffice generates only confusion between users, not freedom
of choice.

LibreOffice is under big development, the suite is fresh, updated,
full of new features, and, last but not least, is using a copyleft
license, while, Apache OpenOffice is licensed under the terms of
Apache 2.0, a NOT copyleft license. [1]

Those benefits for Fedora are few and insufficient; a modern user
interface, or be the first GNU/Linux distribution to include the suite
after the name change aren't great benefit and also LibreOffice can be
used to interoperate with Windows users.

Last but not least, actually, the two suites can't be installed at the
same time because of well known dependency problems.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

my two cents.

--
Marina Latini