Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:43:58 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 12:28 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi Marina,
>
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:14:41 +0100
> Marina Latini wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm an Ambassador and this proposal is confusing me.
>> We have LibreOffice in our repositories; I think that bring back
>> Apache OpenOffice generates only confusion between users, not freedom
>> of choice.
>>
> The confusion is already there in Windows world, linux user should be
> more capable of treating it as freedom of choice instead of confusion.

Why do you think that? I observer exactly the same confusion with
GNU/Linux users

> Also, since Apache took over OpenOffice.org and put it out of
> incubation, it seems the development has been progressing rather well
> and in a different direction than LibreOffice. While both started from
> the same point, they're going to be different office suites with
> different feature sets, different UIs, different devs, etc.

I thought it went there, to it's "Elephants' graveyard" to bit rot and
have it's inevitable slow and painful death after being affected by the
Oracle plague...

> I think it's beneficial to provide Fedora users with the choice of
> installing either, or even both, provided there's enough interest
> among the devs to make it so. From a user point of view, I think the
> main manpower for F19 should go into getting it into repos and solving
> *all* conflicts. They should be parallel installable and should not
> conflict even at runtime with each other. Especially the runtime
> conflicts would be really confusing to (some of) our users.

Why now? Why was that not done in the past when libreoffice got
introduced ( as in shipping both ) to avoid the confusion that will be
caused by this?

JBG