Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:02:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:43:58 +0000
Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> On 01/31/2013 12:28 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Hi Marina,
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:14:41 +0100
> > Marina Latini wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I'm an Ambassador and this proposal is confusing me.
> >> We have LibreOffice in our repositories; I think that bring back
> >> Apache OpenOffice generates only confusion between users, not
> >> freedom of choice.
> >>
> > The confusion is already there in Windows world, linux user should
> > be more capable of treating it as freedom of choice instead of
> > confusion.
>
> Why do you think that? I observer exactly the same confusion with
> GNU/Linux users
I think GNU/Linux users are generally more knowledgeable about computers
in general and unlike in widows where you need to follow the same steps
for installing either, most linuxes (is that correct plural?) have only
LibreOffice in their repos now, so there is less room for confusion. If
it's going to be properly marketed as different office suite for us it
won't probably be much different to choosing between LibreOffice and
KOffice (or whatever it's called now).

> I thought it went there, to it's "Elephants' graveyard" to bit rot
> and have it's inevitable slow and painful death after being affected
> by the Oracle plague...
Well, that's what I though too, until they took it out and released
couple of new versions as well as plans for 4.0 release.

> > I think it's beneficial to provide Fedora users with the choice of
> > installing either, or even both, provided there's enough interest
> > among the devs to make it so. From a user point of view, I think the
> > main manpower for F19 should go into getting it into repos and
> > solving *all* conflicts. They should be parallel installable and
> > should not conflict even at runtime with each other. Especially the
> > runtime conflicts would be really confusing to (some of) our users.
>
> Why now? Why was that not done in the past when libreoffice got
> introduced ( as in shipping both ) to avoid the confusion that will
> be caused by this?

Well, because LibreOffice continued where OpenOffice.org stopped. Now
(actually some time ago), Apache OpenOffice continued in a different
direction than LibreOffice, even if from the same starting point. So we
are in a different situation than back then. And Apache isn't Oracle,
it's in much better hands now.

Maritn