Proposed F19 Feature: QXL/Spice KMS Driver

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 16:12:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 11:52 +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Features/QXLKMSSupport =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/QXLKMSSupport
>
> Feature owner(s): Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com>
>
> Currently the QXL driver is X.org only, a KMS driver is required to move
> forward with projects like spice 3D, and also to allow more features to be
> show in virt environments like plymouth.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> The current spice GPU driver for Linux guests is an X.org only driver. A
> kernel modesetting driver needs to be developed along with a new X.org driver
> that runs on top of it. Additionally the kernel driver will allow it to work
> with the modesetting DDX driver. The new ioctl interface the driver will
> expose will allow updating the qxl DDX driver to work on it. The new driver
> needs to support all revisions of the qxl device.
>
> Btw. Feature has been already proposed as Fedora 18 feature but was postponed
> for Fedora 19.

I thought the feature deadline was yesterday; are we on late features
now?

This is a good change but I'd very much like it to be in and reliable
enough for basic use by Alpha: we do a lot of validation testing in qxl
KVMs so it wouldn't be ideal for this to be bouncing around during
Alpha/Beta time. Is that likely to be the case? Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey