Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 31 14:51:42 UTC 2013

Am 31.01.2013 15:39, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 01/31/2013 02:04 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> And it's the same situation as with MariaDB and MySQL. Fedora is going to
>> prefer MariaDB (FESCo stated it clearly yesterday) - so we should try to make
>> an effort to support MariaDB and not for example force users to use both just
>> to run system. But on the other hand - if there's someone (and both are from
>> upstream), who's going to take a burden of maintainance - why not? It can
>> fail, they will loose interest one day - yes, could happen. And there's
>> possibility that these projects even coming from same roots will diverge and
>> become totally different projects...
>
> "Fedora is going to prefer MariaDB (FESCo stated it clearly yesterday)"
>
> It did now? If that's the case then I would like a full fledge statement from FESCO saying so and a discussion what
> is supposed to be the distribution "default" database and promote postgresql as an candidate to take that part thus
> leaving our users out of yet another sunacle fiasco...

what is a "default database"?
you have to install whatever a software requires!

from the view of usability postgresql is crap for the
ordinary user in a long term - i am working with MySQL
since lobger than 10 years starting with 3.x and there
was NEVER a need to dump/restore data due upgrades,
not for minor and not for major-upgrades, the "mysql" db
with the users and permissions is the one installed many
years ago and the who db-folders are moved around Windows,
MacOSX, Linux over the years and i am speaking here mostly
from production servers as also development workstations

have fun doing the same with postgresql and explain your
users why things are broken after the next dist-upgrade