Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Andrea Pescetti pescetti at apache.org
Thu Jan 31 23:48:00 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 21:17 +0100, drago01 wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> The proposal explicitly says that it doesn't envisage including OO on
>>> any images or in any default install configurations, simply adding it as
>>> an option in the package repositories.

Thank you for actually reading
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApacheOpenOffice !

Now, I can't force anyone to go and read the full proposal before
expressing concerns here, but, honestly, what it is all about is to
allow users who want to install OpenOffice to run (a variant of)
# yum install openoffice
and get OpenOffice installed. If you prefer to use one of the other
office suites shipped in Fedora, fine; adding OpenOffice won't have any
effects for you, period.

I'm rather confident that including OpenOffice does not violate the
Fedora policy and I can't see how users could be confused. Fedora would
just improve the experience of users (including many recent Windows
converts) who want to install OpenOffice effortlessly.

People of course have the freedom to dislike OpenOffice, or any other
piece of software, but I don't think that license preferences,
opinionated (and now outdated) articles about the Symphony contribution,
factoids or personal beliefs belong to this discussion. So, unless it is
really required, I won't address these concerns: this is not a campaign
to inform people about OpenOffice (OpenOffice has a website, blogs and
very active mailing lists for this), it is merely a proposal to add it
to the Fedora repositories.

Several people also made good technical remarks that I am collecting:
thank you, and I think I'll be able to come back to you in a few days,
or meet you personally for those attending FOSDEM.

>> Which doesn't really need a FESCo approval ... just a package review.
> Presumably it was proposed as a feature for the publicity implications.

Exactly. That was my reading of the submission guidelines for new features.

Regards,
   Andrea.