[rawhide] kernel-install and grubby and ... what's going on?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 17:21:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> It looks like the venerable calls to new-kernel-pkg (from grubby) have been
> replaced by kernel-install, which checks if /sbin/new-kernel-pkg exists and
> runs that if it does, and otherwise does this stuff
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/.
>
> I'm trying to update the cloud kickstart files for F20 (now that F19 is in
> the can, right?), and am trying to understand what the plan and migration
> path is here. I can't find a feature page for this.
>
> Right now, immediately, the result is no initramfs being created under
> appliace-creator. (We're hoping to move _away_ from appliance-creator for
> this release, but one step at a time.) I went ahead and added grubby to the
> kickstart package manifest, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing.
>
> How is this _supposed_ to be working?

You should probably ask Harald explicitly to be sure, but the current
state of affairs is:

- kernel.spec now requires systemd > <some version that has
kernel-install in it>
- kernel.spec calls kernel-install instead of new-kernel-pkg (which is
provided by grubby)
- kernel-install in Fedora 19 and 20 is patched to call new-kernel-pkg
under the covers for the bootloader config update portions
- kernel-install calls dracut to create the initramfs (I think).
- eventually grub2 will deal with the BootLoaderSpec stuff directly
and kernel-install won't call new-kernel-pkg any longer.

I'm not exactly sure what the timeframe for that last item is, but
it's not in the immediate future.

josh