More unhelpful update descriptions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 19:45:19 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-03 0:54, Johannes Lips wrote:

>>> If it doesn't fix the bugs, the update should fix, it is
>> appropriate
>>> to give negative karma. Otherwise the bugs would be closed, when
>> it
>>> becomes stable, but won't be fixed.
>>
>> That's not what the guidelines say :
>>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Update_feedback_guidelines#Update_does_not_fix_a_bug_it_claims_to
>> [2]
>
> Could be, but if the still broken bugs are going to be closed, when
> the update becomes stable, doesn't really help, or? Given that this is
> enabled in the update.

That is a bureaucratic detail that can be fixed. Priority #1 should
*always* be pushing out better software: it is wrongheaded to avoid
pushing out better software because it would cause a minor inconvenience
in our bug tracking system. We should prioritize pushing out the update
if it's better than the previous update, and we can deal with re-opening
incorrectly closed bugs.

If an update *only* claims to fix one bug, and doesn't actually fix it,
it is appropriate to give it a -1. But if it claims to fix 10 bugs,
fixes 9, but doesn't fix the tenth (and doesn't make anything else worse
in a major way, of course) then we really want to push that update out,
because it makes things better for people. We can deal with the tenth
bug later.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey