Heads up: Upcoming python-pillow 2.2 breaks "import _imaging"

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 21:35:08 UTC 2013

On 03.07.2013 18:49, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 01:35:14 +0200
> Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As described here [1], the upcoming python-pillow 2.2 will break
>> "import _imaging", and "from PIL.Image import core as _imaging"
>> should be used instead). This does not break backwards compatibility
>> with python-pillow < 2.2.
>>
>> Python-pillow-2.2 will probably land in rawhide some time next
>> weekend. In the meantime, maintainers of packages requiring
>> python-imaging or python-pillow should check if this breakage affects
>> them. The following quick hacky script [2] shows that the following
>> packages might need to be adapted:
>>
>> !! calibre-0:0.9.36-1.fc20.x86_64 may contain _imaging import:
>> usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/test_build.py:        import _imaging,
>> _imagingmath, _imagingft
>> usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/test_build.py:        _imaging,
>> _imagingmath, _imagingft
>> usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/test_build.py:        from PIL import
>> _imaging, _imagingmath, _imagingft
>> usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/test_build.py:    _imaging, _imagingmath,
>> _imagingft
> Note that this is a test script thats not run as part of the build,
> however, it is shipped in the rpm for people to use, so we do need to
> fix it.
>
> Can you whip up a patch? Otherwise I can try and do so...
I would suggest to simply remove the imports of _imaging, _imagingmath
and  _imagingft, since
- They are "low-level" modules which are imported by the "high-level"
Imaging* modules. If they are missing, the import of the high-level
Imaging module fails.
- They are never imported directly elsewhere in the calibre codebase.

A corresponding patch is here [1].

- Sandro

[1] http://smani.fedorapeople.org/calibre-_imaging.patch