Fedora 19 Gnome Desktop Touchscreen Usability

Thomas Sailer sailer at sailer.dynip.lugs.ch
Thu Jul 4 10:04:35 UTC 2013

I can operate the full gnome desktop with a mouse, the touchpad, and a
digitizer pen. I can operate all applications with fingers. However, I
cannot operate the gnome shell using fingers. When I tap on for example
"Activities", the battery icon or a close button in a window title bar,
that item gets highlighted, but nothing else happens. On Fedora 18, I
could operate the shell with fingers too.

I cannot see any difference in the generated ButtonPress and
ButtonRelease events (using xev) with the mouse or the finger. The only
difference is that finger motion cannot be tracked without button press,
i.e. the MotionNotify events are missing from the finger.

What is happening here? How can I get the shell to accept finger input too?

Tom