F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 22:47:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 14:54 -0400, Jonathan Masters wrote:

> We'll be looking into LLVM in due course. There are a few of us
> capable of fixing the issue (that you were noted as being extremely
> concerned about on IRC at the time - we will be happy to send you
> updates on this) but we balance this with other priorities (as well as
> a desire not to grow a dependency on LLVM more broadly

Functional llvmpipe isn't a new dependency.  Every primary arch has had
it working since F17.  Two of the secondaries do too in F19.  I
appreciate not wanting to depend more on llvm - believe me I really,
really, really, do - but I don't think you get to use that as an out
here.

>  - Fedora relies heavily upon the expertise of RH's tools team, which
> focuses on GCC almost exclusively precisely to avoid fragmenting the
> resources that do exist to develop awesome new tooling).

Sure, but arm also builds without -fstack-protector because it's plainly
unimplemented, which is a fairly major security regression compared to
every other architecture.

The conclusion one might draw is that there's no toolchain attention
being paid to arm at all.  Which doesn't inspire in me much confidence.

- ajax