How to remove auto generated python dependency?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 01:48:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 04:37:40PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:26:19PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A package I maintain (mc) has two rarely-used
>> > python scripts.
>> >
>> > Since they have #!/usr/bin/python header, build machinery
>> > automatically adds python dependency.
>> >
>> > But I don't want this to happen - the program is very much
>> > usable without python too. Requiring python pulls in a top
>> > of other stuff which isn't needed.
>>
>> Are those scripts installed into /usr/bin ? If so then, IMHO,
>> removing the python dependency is not appropriate, regardless
>> of whether the scripts are used frequently or not. Splitting
>> them out into a sub-RPM might be a more suitable approach.
>>
> <nod>  -- If this is a Fedora package, then a subpackage is definitely the
> way to go.  Filtering out a dependency that is actually present would be
> introducing a bug.
>
> -Toshio

If you wanted to be a complete weasel, you could use "#!/usr/bin/env
python".  If the scripts are samples or add-on scripts, not normally
deployed, such as the suite of server-side post-comit nad pre-common
tools for Subversion, you might dump them in
/usr/share/doc/[package]-%{version}/scripts, and turn off the execute
bit.