F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 10 15:51:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:02:24 +0200
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Application Installer =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AppInstaller
>
> Change owner(s): Richard Hughes <rhughes at redhat.com>, together with
> the desktop team
>
> We will replace the existing gnome-packagekit frontends
> (gpk-update-viewer and gpk-application) by a new application.

Would there be any value in keeping those around for a cycle or so for
folks that prefer package centric updates? Or better to just ask them
to move to yum/yumex/apper now?

...snip...

> To improve some problematic aspects of the updates user experience
> (long waits, locks), we will use the new hawkey backend for
> PackageKit.
(echo issue with a different backend that Toshio had)

> == Scope ==
> Proposal owners:
> * Implement minimal required functionality for application
> installation in gnome-software
> * Implement minimal required functionality for updates in
> gnome-software
> * Replace gpkg-update-viewer
> * Package gnome-software
> * Include a hawkey backend in PackageKit and use it
>
> Other developers:
> * Use gnome-software instead of gpk-update-viewer when dealing with
> updates in gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-shell and
> gnome-control-center

I'm assuming this will be desktop/gnome centric? Or would it all just
work in Xfce/LXDE/ratpoision sessions?

> Release engineering:
> * Make metadata available for packaged applications in Fedora
> (screenshots, icons, ratings,...). Not all of this needs to be in
> place for F20

Can you expand on these exact needs? What exactly is required for f20?
What is post f20?

> Policies and guidelines:
> * No immediate changes needed; longer-term, we probably want to make
> changes to way applications are distributed and installed

Can you expand on that? In what way?

> * The update experience will also benefit from proposed changes to
> batch updates

Is that part of this proposal? Or something else?

kevin