Virtualization on ARM (was: Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 20:30:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:32:46AM -0400, Jonathan Masters wrote:
> Excellent proposal. I of course think this would be just awesome!

This proposal doesn't address virtualization!

I think this is great, BUT I'd also like to see a widely available
cheap ARM platform that supports virtualization, AND for which
virtualization genuinely works out of the box.

Because, otherwise we can't start properly getting libvirt and the
rest of the virt stack working.

The ARM-based Samsung Chromebook[0] is nearly there, although as
discussed on the arm list last week[1], there are either some missing
bits, or no one's brought all the bits together.

Rich.

[0] Cost around $300, and several virt developers have them already,
    plus they are quite good Fedora development machines in and of
    themselves.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/arm/2013-July/thread.html#6319