F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 06:18:25 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 10:12 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> As I said elsewhere in the thread, the criteria should be subsidiary to
> the primary arch designation. If we decide we want to take ARM as a
> primary arch in any form in which the current release criteria don't
> apply, we should amend the release criteria.
>
> In context I was just providing some background information: as the
> criteria currently stand, KDE and GNOME are the release blocking
> desktops. (Technically that in itself isn't really an aspect of the
> release criteria; it's Fedora status quo that predates the current form
> of the release validation process).

Yeah, it seems like a foregone conclusion that release criteria would
need to be modified.  I don't think the current proposal includes this,
but perhaps it should.  Realistically what's going to be needed is some
form of granularity on "primary".  At first blush I like the idea of a
"primary server" and "primary desktop" designation (maintaining a
unified build system) but haven't thought the full consequences through.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com