F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 08:06:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:24:05PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I for one would like to have access to some ARM systems for trying
> >> things out. At least one for each arch that's a candidate to become
> >> primary would be nice.
> >
> > I appreciate that some people cannot or don't want to buy hardware,
> > but if you did have roughly $300 available, then you should probably
> > get the Oct 2012 Samsung Chromebook or the Arndale development board.
> > The Chromebook has the advantage IMHO that it's a decent netbook.
>
> $45 will get your a beaglebone which the last of the core support has
> landed in 3.11 and I'm testing the kernel now and there should be a
> F-19 remix soon...

But no hardware virtualization right?  I think the minimum we should
target for Fedora development machines is whatever supports hardware
virtualization, which is A-15 IIRC.

However a $45 option *is* good for people on limited budgets or people
who want to play with ARM but don't care about virtualization.

Rich.