F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 10:25:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> On 07/10/2013 06:14 PM, Björn Persson wrote:
> > Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >> I was working on adding 2 more SOC's for packagers earlier this week.
> >>
> >> I wanted to see how much call there was for these... should I try and
> >> make them accessable by all packagers? Or just have a group and
> >> interested people could be added to that group?
> >
> > I for one would like to have access to some ARM systems for trying
> > things out. At least one for each arch that's a candidate to become
> > primary would be nice.
> >
> > Initially I want to see the results of some uname and RPM commands to
> > make sure that I get things right in fedora-gnat-project-common.
> >
> > In the future I hope to be able to test my Ada packages on ARM, but
> > that can't happen until somebody bootstraps GNAT on ARM. If I should
> > happen to come across a bucket of round tuits I might even try to
> > bootstrap GNAT myself, although I think it would be better done by
> > someone who knows more about GCC and ARM than I do.
>
> <warning shameless plug of personal project>
>
> If you want some ARM hardware to play with, you can get some really
> cheap Allwinner SOC based devices, most of them with a 1 Ghz cortex
> A8, 1 GB or RAM and an sdcard slot (and usb, hdmi out and wifi).
>
> Anything with an allwinner A10, A10s or A13 will work with the
> Fedora A10 remix:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/AllwinerA10
>
> And I'm working on adding A20 support (dual cortex a7 @ 1 Ghz) atm.
>
> The most well known devices with an A10(s) are the mk802 hdmi
> tv-sticks. Simply search ebay for mk802, buy now only, sort
> price+shipping low -> high and at the end of the first page
> you will find the first A10 devices. At this moment the cheapest
> one is $35.23. Which is a pretty sweat deal for what in essence
> is a complete computer with a 1Ghz cpu and 1 GB RAM.
>
> Beware there are also mk802-iii devices which have a completely
> different CPU. Always check the description mentions allwinner
> and/or A10 or A10s.
>
> Note the A10 SOC also has sata out, vga out, composite video out,
> wired ethernet, etc. So if you do some more searching you can find
> some very interesting devices. Note worthy are the cubieboard:
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Cubieboard
>
> And the olimex a10s-olinuxio-micro:
> https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A10S/A10S-OLinuXino-MICRO
>
> The olimex design is fully open hardware with schematics and pcb
> layout files available. The cubieboard also has schematics available.
>
> Note the olimex uses the A10s and as such does not have sata.

Speaking about hardware - and that's more a question for Spot - could
be possible to organize another round of HW give away as we did with
Raspberries? With a different HW, that's supported in Fedora and it
seems like there are pretty cheap options either. With some metrics,
like commits/packages/packages that need significant effort to make
it working on ARM...

Jaroslav