Packages MUST NOT place files or directories in the /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64 directories

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 11 13:31:24 UTC 2013

Am 11.07.2013 15:05, schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48:56PM +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
>> I've just spotted usr-move has been completed.
>> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines#Filesystem_Layout>
>> states:
>>
>> In addition, Fedora packages MUST NOT place files or directories in the
>> /bin, /sbin, /lib or /lib64 directories. Instead, the /usr/bin,
>> /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/lib64 directories must be used.
>>
>> Is that true?
>>
>> Should I move /sbin/quotacheck and similar files to /usr/sbin?
>
> IMHO no.

why do packaging guidelines exist then?

>> Should I file bug against bash, glibc, and other packages? Or should
>> there be a list of exceptions?
>
> .. and no, we don't need a list of exceptions.

because there sould no one be needed

> Keep it consistent with upstream / common sense / distros that
> didn't make the usrmove mistake

sorry, but this is a bad attitude

you can hadrly make as a distrubution a change, have guidelines
and then come up in public with "ignore them because i do
not like the change from a year ago"

hence, there are enough hidden packaging problems because
the guidelines are ignored from way to much packages